Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Holding Hands

So there I am. Standing at the busy Murray Town Junction, holding the hand of a Sierra Leonean man. For a long time. For the whole of our 5 minute conversation. The man is a colleague of mine. Men like to hold hands here. I think it’s a Muslim thing. He says he wants me to join him at church this weekend. You have to think quickly here, because everyone wants you to be their friend and do something with them. It’s tough. On the one hand you want to experience these things, but on the other hand you have to pick and choose and not disappoint. My standard line is to turn all offers down. “I can’t give you my cell number, it’s work only … I’d love to start a new religion with you, but my mother would be upset … your food looks nice, but I’ve already eaten … I can’t pay for your school, I am a volunteer … I may be white, but I’m not rich…”

But the truth is, I am rich. I have an education and I can leave anytime to premium health care and a rich country. Many people believe that corruption and abuse of power is widespread here because people only live for today. There is little planning for tomorrow. Even my organization CGG. They are going bankrupt. Our accountant is having a hard time putting measures in place to stop the bleeding and right the ship. The organization mitigation strategy is to pray to the lord. (Photo: Neighbourhood kids Abraham & Diane, or maybe Diana. I can't tell the twins apart. My house to the left across from the mango tree)

It is challenging to interact with people here for all these reasons. My guard is always up. I’m expecting everyone to ask me for something. Anyone you befriend will eventually ask you for help. I don’t blame them. It’s overwhelming because you truly want to help people. My roommate Laura has a huge heart. She’s always stretching her finances thin by helping everyone she knows – taking kids to the beach for lunch and a soda, paying for hospital treatments and finding jobs for people. One older volunteer bought a taxi for a local, and many others have paid for tuition fees for young people.

There are so many opportunities to do small things that would go so far. $50 would be enough to put a roof on the small school next to my house. The teacher is a local volunteer, but will be unable to keep classes going during the rainy season. It would be very easy to set up funds for schools or even individual students, but the infrastructure here is beyond bad. It’s non-existent. You cannot transfer money to accounts easily. Even a tourist cannot get money in Sierra Leone. You have to bring US$. A thriving tourist industry is waiting for a sniff of progress to boom. I’ve gotten money out of ATMs in the middle of the desert in Egypt. No such luck in Freetown.

UPDATE: We’ve got water. The pump is now working. Glorious shower and flushing toilet has returned.

No comments: