Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bruno: Love and Death at Tacugama

Why do I feel that this won’t be the last time I write about Bruno? My colleagues back home uncovered articles and even saw a National Geographic TV special on the infamous killer chimp of Freetown. They told me to beware of the man-killing, baby-eating giant chimp still loose in Freetown after a dramatic escape from Tacugama, the chimpanzee sanctuary.

I had already met Bala, the founder of the sanctuary, on my first visit. But I wasn’t about to ask him about the details, especially after I learned that Bruno’s mother was killed by hunters, and kept as a pet. Bala rescued the baby chimp, malnourished to the point that he had no hair left. This was the start of the sanctuary, now home to more than 90-orphaned chimpanzees. (Sierra Leone is one of those countries that filled the order for your English grandmother’s 1950 Christmas gift – a monkey)

Last week I went to a screening of a Sierra Leone documentary “Wildlife after War” in which Bala and his chimps are featured (He has been in numerous documentaries). After the showing I got to share a couple of beers with the man himself. He’s a cool dude. Originally from Sri Lanka, but hasn’t been back in over 30 years.

Over a few Star beers, I got the scoop from the source. The senior chimp group, lead by Bruno, learned how to open the complex cage system and made a grand escape – 31 of them. Bruno the leader went down to the road to ensure the path was clear for the group. He met a cab with 3 passengers who thought it was quite the photo op. As the passengers flashed photos the cab driver attempted to scare Bruno off the road. This only upset the giant chimp. Bruno banged on the car severing some fingers of one passenger as the others ran for their lives. The driver ran up to the sanctuary to look for help, however he was met by the other 30 chimpanzees. They mauled him to death.
Over the course of a few months 27 of the 31 escapees returned to the sanctuary. Bruno and the other 3 are alive and well somewhere on the peninsula. Bala has made contact with all of them, but said Bruno won’t show his face. I have to remember my good chimp, bad chimp calls, and my machete when I go camping in the peninsula next week!

---

Tacugama Website for more info on Bruno, Bala and how you can buy a monkey! no, you can't buy a monkey! but you can rent one for a party. no, that's a joke too. You can sponsor a chimp of your choice.
http://www.tacugama.com/



1 comment:

dad said...

the BRUNO here just became a nonno.....