Thursday, April 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Abraham!

Little Abraham. He looks like a little man tonight with his big-boy African dress and slick new shaved hair cut. But he’s taken aback by all the abnormal action on his birthday. I don’t think he really knows what to do while the music plays and kids dance around him. On a normal evening he’d come running to hug my leg, pinch my skin and pet my beard but only the twins and Nasio catch me crashing the party.

I’m jacked to see what actually happens at a 2-year old’s birthday in Africa. About 15 kids sit on 8 chairs and wait while an uncle hooks up the stereo. I’m guessing musical chairs. The party won’t start without Auntie Efay leading everyone in prayer. Then, after about 30 mins of technical problems and several kiddy fights for chairs, and some crying – it wouldn’t be a party without crying –, the music starts and the kids dance. It takes Abraham quite a while to warm up to his party. Instead of the Western party recipe – kids hopped up on caffeine and sugar – these kids are delirious on hip-hop music and one lollipop.

In the video, Abraham sits on the chair in the background and lets out a couple cries of excitement as kids show off their advanced dancing skills. Nasio sports the light blue long sleeve shirt to the right.

1 comment:

dad said...

they may not have much but they sure look happy...