Friday, March 7, 2008

Lakka's Happy Dogs

I’m 3-weeks into my adventure and I’ve put in a week at the office. I’m helping staff to develop programs and proposals for related funding. I’m learning a lot about funding sources and a little about the politics too.

Designing, developing, monitoring and evaluating programs has become my bread and butter back home, so that part should be a breeze. A current draft proposal is a nation-wide training scheme combined with policy changes (in-line with international standards) for the Sierra Leone Police. They have a bad habit of beating the lights out of detainees, while not allowing them access to their rights. As a former law enforcement officer, this is right up my ally. The current proposal is decent, but has some sustainability issues and poor performance measurement (a required of donors and, general, just good). It looks like I can help. But stay tuned. Things don’t run smoothly and logically in Africa! (Right: View from where i usually have lunch...Old Railway Line RD, close to CGG Office)

On Monday I s
at in on a work-related press conference. At a classic colonial house in the core of bustling Freetown I saw first hand my NGO (CGG) in the spotlight. The Head Coordinator and key staff led the press conference. There were TV, radio and newspaper reporters. I was the only “white man” there. CGG was releasing a statement condemning recent violent protests. I was really impressed with the questions from the media and mostly from the responses from our lead people. The key people in my organizations are sharp and well educated. On the other end, our maintenance guys and drivers have only a slight grasp of English. This allows me to practice Krio.

On Saturday I went to the glorious beach village of Lakka. Once on the beach, the loudness and stink of Freetown quickly fades. It’s about 1 hour by “bus” (mini van) to get to Lakka. The bus doesn’t leave until there are 5 people per bench (the min vans are modified) – that’s about 20 people. We are at the back where there are windows. My knees are stabbing someone’s spleen. Some people just hang on to the back and ride the bumper. The ocean is very warm and clean at Lakka. You can fall asleep in the waves. Even the dogs are healthier here. Or at least they are alive.

On a beautify Saturday afternoon there are few people on the beach – a bit of a shock. Some need to “get away” more than others. Julian, my roommate, had two sleepless nights after a traumatic experience. While on his way to work, two ladies crammed into the taxi with a young girl. “Skin and bones”, she died on the way to the hospital while the others cried.

I sat down with the neighbourhood kids on Sunday. Hours later I’m sporting a new hairdo. It’s cooler, in both senses. Hahaha...I get looks from everyone. Now it’s ichy. On Monday I shut down CGG’s Internet service by downloading too many NHL replays. Opa! (I didn’t bother with the Sen’s replays) (Right: My office)

1 comment:

dad said...

that is quite the hair-do...one of many on your list!