Sunday, February 3, 2008

T-10 Days

My flight to Sierra Leone is a little more than a week away. I’m having a nice relaxing Sunday after a couple weeks of draining preparations…. 4 wisdom teeth extractions (good timing!), 16 hours of moving in one day, 5 days of VSO training, malaria pill testing and multiple vaccinations– the last one, yellow fever, gave me a fever!

With most of the major prep work out of the way I’m starting to get excited about Sierra Leone and also sad to be leaving my friends and fam. It will be hard to step out of my life right now – great job, wonderful girlfriend, first place in my hockey pool ☺, my sports routines - and into a place where no one knows me and pizza may be hard to find!

My brother and some of the ‘boys’ are coming into town next weekend for a little party time, including Habs vs Sens. Then I’m off to the Soo on Sunday with a flight to London on Wednesday.

Until then, I’ll try to pack my life into 2 small bags!

1 comment:

Julia Senesac said...

Oh Jay,

I have really enjoyed reading your blog.
No water ever at my house. In Bonthe - it's a bucket and the "night man". Water table is too high for latrines. We had a well next door. Boiled all our water.
Freetown was once known as the Athens of West Africa. Fourah Bay College was a world class institution in it's day. Yes people were poor - and dirty when I was there but there was no violence of any kind. The worst crime was petty thievery. I lost all my bikini tops - and of course - gave away all my Levis.
Bribery was the business of all officials and that's how things got done. When the priest got my work permit, he asked for my passport and $20 US to bribe the visa official.

Fun Fact: The City hotel (I'm sure it's gone now) was on the waterfront and we used to stay there when we went to Freetown. Old, run down, owned by a very old Swiss - very Sierra Leone -Graham Greene wrote The Heart of The Matter in that very spot. Also, did you read Things Fall Apart? Tho in theory Nigerian, very SL. Sierra Leone has such a rich history.

I've spent a few hours now reminiscing and enjoyed every bit.

Julia