Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Crazytown and Bruno

Where to begin. One – I made it safe and sound. All is good. Mom and Dad - please stop worrying and get some sleep! Two – Freetown is crazy. Customs and immigration was pretty much a free-for-all. The 20min car ride from the airport to the ferry was like a dream. I had been thinking about this journey for months, and now it’s a reality. The car lights light up the huts and women carrying bins of water and food on their heads along the road. Aside from car headlights and fires, it was pitch black.

I live with Julian (Kingston) and Laura (England) who’ve been here since October. We have a massive 4 bedroom second-floor apartment. One toilet that works and a shower.

We live in a pretty sweet neighbourhood… the neighbours already know my name. They’ve been waiting weeks to meet me. Jason. The white man living with the only two other white people in the hood. They are a bit confused with the one woman and two guys situation.

The lady across the street has a big family. I’m not good with numbers, but I’m gonna say about 10 kids. Most of them are orphans. They live in a little shack and an old van. I’ve gotta try to remember all their names!

VSO and the general volunteering community are very mindful of acclimatising new people. The first 48 hours have been very smooth thanks to Laura, Julian and Kate’s crew. VSO gave cash to others so that I won’t have to worry about finding and paying for food and transportation for the first week.

Against the advice of others (see mindful acclimatisation), I went with Laura to visit one of her AIDS patients. I had only spent 2 hours in the daylight in SL, and there I was in the impending-death ward in Freetown’s hospital. Not sure I could justly explain what I saw, but it’s something I will never forget.

I did a lot in my first weekend here, so for the sake of binary code conservation I will just write a few random thoughts to finish this blog entry… Its dusty and stinking HOT! It smells like the Algoma Steel Plant. The money looks like it was printed before Christ, and it smells like it is repeatedly soaked in crap and piss. We have a “guard” dog named Zorro. Everyone is super friendly, even the local weed dealer. There are very few white people around, but when you see one, you are best friends. So far I’ve met people from Windsor, Toronto, the Yukon and NYC. First breakfast was French toast with Canadian maple syrup courtesy Kate from Ottawa. Watched Sierra Leoneans sing-a-long to Shania Twain and Celine Dion at a local bar. Yes, shoot me now. We get a few hours of power each day. I once believed that Ottawa and Sault Ste Marie had the worst streets in the world. Wrong. (for Franco and the CSI team) I met Bruno’s parents. The chimp sanctuary was started for Bruno by his adoptive parents (an English couple) in 1995. I diplomatically asked about big Bruno. They didn’t tell me that he ripped the face of a taxi driver and ate two babies, but they say he is still at large! Along with 3 other chimps. So there is a real threat out there! Hahahha. I hope I see him on the street!

I start training tomorrow. Ready to learn some Krio.

8 comments:

dad said...

relieved and happy with a smile on my face after reading this,...as always your talents shine thru...do i see a new hair doo?

dad said...

relieved and happy for you after reading this blog...as always your talents are shining thru ....you have done much so quickly..do i see a shorter hair doo?

"The Happy Wanderers" said...

Wow. It sure takes a lot of courage (among other things) to do what you have done. So commendable. Your positive presence will surely make a difference. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Anna-Lisa & Adrian

jane salituri said...

will be able to sleep tonite knowing you are being taken care of...look up at the moon..almost full tonite...it's says hi from mom

Mel Baker said...

so proud of you - you're doing your 'humanitarian part' - you're no longer sporting that "make poverty history" bracelet as a fashion accessory - you're actually working towards the goal!
living vicariously through you!
love&miss you OX

Eric S said...

Dude
Riveting

Eric S
Oh ya, 1) you misspelled your blog address in the email. I before E except after C. Didn't you learn anything at Bawating? And 2) Michael York? come on!

Franco said...

Puts everything into perspective.

Take care of yourself, my friend...and watch out for that crazy, cigarette smoking chimp.

Unknown said...

Jay:

Outstanding! I'm jealous - life here in Wales is far too secure, but getting out on the ice with puck and stick is key to prolong the joy of life, so no long term 3rd world destination plans for me....yet! Savour the flavour of the experience and avoid those mossies and snakes eh - I'm sure a good hockey elbow to the nose will take care of any crocs. Keep the blogs coming! Murray Rahn