Friday, August 15, 2008

Great Day

I wish I were a morning person, because I would do what I did on Thursday, every day. I got on my bike before sunrise, to see what I could see. I wanted to take some photos of the city waking up, with sun shining on the incredible Freetown buildings and houses.

Jared and I had planned this a couple times before, but rain spoiled the chance. This a.m. was not perfect – overcast – but nonetheless fun.

It was quite the day. By
the time 1p.m. came: I had been to a local cafĂ© twice for coffee (wasn’t open the first time); pulled over by the police twice, the second time my keys and DL were taken from me… but I managed to take charge of the scene and drive away after 20 mins of serious smoothing over, but I was late for my second coffee attempt; helped design a press release and report writing workshop; I went to a private prep school to investigate enrollment ideas and the bank to set up auto payments for a venture (stay tuned). All in all, quite the day. At sunset, the icing was placed on the cake when we went to the grand opening of the new Basha Bakery – our favourite hangout got a major facelift. The owners recognized us as valued customers and friends with a nice tour and free shawarmas! Opa! (Photo: Football match near our house)

And then the cherry on top of the day. Laura and I met with Auntie F.A. (the leader of the neighbour’s clan). She was overjoyed when we told her we wanted to help put Nasio through school. A group hug took place in the middle of the street. This was
the last piece of the puzzle for starting our venture (more to come).

Here and there and everywhere: We haven’t had running water since June 25th! The whole neighbourhood is dry. We’re not too sure what the deal is. We hire guys to deliver water… check out Joseph carrying the huge jug. No joke. That is full of water. It’s unreal how strong he is for a little dude.



1 comment:

dad said...

quite the day...but how about the rest of the story re: the keys and the DL?????

how can that man have spanky white runners playing soccer in what appears to be a field of mud!