Friday, May 16, 2008

Change of Pace. And Again

Before my 2 weeks of vacation I was busy putting together programs and project proposals. It was a mad stretch of about 3 weeks when we submitted 6 proposals to Europe, the States and Canada. It was my first major task here – to get some cash flow to keep the organization afloat. They were all smallish proposals aimed at getting cash fast. In all, they would equal just over $120,000, which would buy us time to work on bigger more complex projects. I’m looking forward to trying to bring in roughly 3-quarters of a million from the EU and UN for a consortium of national NGOs.

It was painful to deal with the Canadian International Development Agency because they kept hounding us for more details and further explanation. I joked in the office about the a-holes in Canada, but really I was proud that my home country was so thorough and knowledgeable about undertaking projects in Sierra Leone – considering our nearest consulate is in the Ivory Coast. (Photo: "Dr." Joop and Mr J Brown. My partners in crime dine at the UN World Food Program cafe - our favourite meeting spot. We form the "3 white guys" of the organisation. JB cubed hasn't stuck. The 3 J's in our names, and the fact that we all sport some kind of beard. JB-cubed. No?)

The passion of my NGO is extremely high, however the overall business capacity is weak, and often paradoxical. Good governance? The organization must practice what it preaches!! And that’s something that myself and the 2 Euro imports – John the accountant and Joop the Admin manager – are beginning to install here. In the past, they took on projects without costing them properly, getting the organization into financial trouble. While I work on phase 2 of my responsibilities here – redeveloping the marketing strategy and tools – I will also commence building standard processes and practices for the NGO and train staff. We hope to have this place running smoothly by the time we leave.

So I came back from my vacation rested and ready for the next challenge. Good news already came from the UK and Canada awarding the requested grants. 2 for 2, not too shabby. Staff should get paid by next week, after a month and a half of waiting. And Joop, the admin manager, had to return home to tend to his ill daughter. I now have to take on his role as well as my own. It should be fun to run the day-to-day operations. Today? The secretary and receptionist are sick, one vehicle has no brakes, the generator has a dead alternator, there’s no toilet paper, the internet is down and the IT consultant doesn’t have a work contract.

The Canada-funde
d project begins Monday. That’s quick turnover even for western standards. I will be heading “up-line” (remote region) Sunday to manage the delivery, and monitor and evaluate the project in Kenema – building capacity of marginalized people for local council representation. Sierra Leone will hold the first local elections in over 30 years this summer. It is weird that there is a whole generation of people who don’t understand the government process because they haven’t been a part of it.

Needless to say, it looks like it’ll be another mad dash to my next break in July – home for a visit.

Who’s got gas?: Mel took my SL Bank card with her to Canada, but getting money out of my account didn’t seem to be much of a problem. I didn’t even have to show ID. Seriously. (read my “All Access Pass” blog entry to understand why). … We went through a 2-week stretch of little-to-no power, but its now back to a somewhat normal occurrence again – a few hours every evening, and a good stretch during the weekends. Rumour has it more generators are on the way courtesy World Bank. Freetown is determined to lose the stigma of being the only capital in the world without steady power. … The country feels so small and vulnerable. As if there are a few men and businesses that run the joint. There is a gas shortage (gas tanks to fuel stoves etc) caused by a mix up in paperwork, apparently. Now there are no gas tanks in the city. Everyone is waiting for that one shipment from Europe, from that one provider, all monopolized by the small and cutthroat import/export community. … Nasio’s got numbers 1 to 6 down pat now. I asked him to spell his name on his little portable chalkboard. I think we have some work to do. (Photo: Mary. I think. And Nasio. Not a flattering pic of Nasio. His right hand is fresh off being used as a fork for his Cassava leaf dinner. He's trying not to touch my leg. So thoughtful.)

1 comment:

dad said...

good work j....love that photo with you and the kids